|New Version 0.6-2
New features added:
- There is now an optional system configuration file "/etc/ws.conf"
that may take precedence over the user configuration file
"~/.ws/ws.conf. Usefull when you want all users have the same
configuration file. This option can be turned off.
- More then one domain or workgroup can be defined in ws.conf. We can also deny one or more workgroup to be used.
- Options -q (quiet) and --debug has been added to ws.
- A logfile (optional) is now available for each user.
- The user can now change the directory name and softlink name in the configuration file.
- A progression bar has benn added when scanning the network.
- Accepts international desktop names translations.
An rpm is available for download.
WinShares is a linux
that scans the network and mounts all windows and samba shares
available, allowing to browse them. It uses CIFS VFS and
it's writen in shell script.
|It is very simple to
and use. The project's main goal was to use a simple command or a
single click, to mount the shares available on the network, and allow
browsing them easily. And this is the way it works.
A configuration file exists, but it is only needed if the user wishes
to specify some preferences.
|The program is developed in
shell script avoiding the need to compile the source.
- Mounts all (or some) samba and windows shares
available in the network using CIFS VFS, allowing to browse them and
also streaming media files.
- Runs in text mode. No need to have a graphical
- If there is a graphical interface it runs with
a simple click and a desktop link is created allowing to browse all the
- It is written in shell script.
- WinShares needs samba 3.0.20-2 or
work. Mount.cifs and umount.cifs must be present in the system.
- It was successfully tested in Fedora Core 6,
Ubuntu 6.10, OpenSUSE 10.2, Mandriva 2007, Caixa Mágica 11, and newer.
- It doesn't work in older linux distributions.